Commercial Radio Australia (CRA) today announced the results of its ’2013 Digital Radio Industry Report’, finding that sales figures for digital radios have soared to record highs, with adoption exceeding industry expectations.
Now in its fourth year, the Report tracks the status of digital radio in Australia under the DAB+ standard. The main findings of the 2013 Report include:
- Almost 1.5 million people listen on a DAB+ device each week, an increase of about 25%,
- time spent listening to radio via the DAB+ platform is more than double that of time spent listening to radio over the internet,
- the biggest quarterly jump in sales of digital radios wads recored over the 2012 Christmas and new year retail period, with more than 1.2 million devices having been sold since August 2009,
- almost 14,000 DAB+ enabled vehicles have been sold, and
- household penetration is currently at 15.2%, with that expected to reach 18% by June 2014.
Where people listen: digital radio vs total
Reach of digital radio by age group
Time spent listening to digital radio by age group