Viral rockstars – why ad agencies just dont get it!
One thing that is really pissing me off at the moment is advertising agencies claiming that they created a ‘viral’.
Do you know how stupid this sounds? It is kind of like a part time musician claiming they are a rockstar! Maybe they need a video to show them how stupid they look 😉 Check out the clip below, and if you think you can do better, get filming and send it in!
Ad agencies don’t create virals, they create content. The people decide whether it will be viral or not.
What to do when someone says Make me a viral campaign!
If you are going to claim viral success to journalists, instead of talking about it being ‘viral’, why not concentrate on what makes the content so remarkable. If the journalist struggles to explain how amazing the content is, how is the rest of the population going to have any chance?
6 Must read articles on the topic of Viral Marketing
- Seth Godin on how to be remarkable
- Simon Corbett on a Viral Rant
- David Gillespie on creating remarkable social objects
- Zac Martin on Viral Evolution
- Marta Kagan the secrets to overnight viral marketing success
- 10 of the dumbest lame and lamer viral marketing campaigns
Thanks to Katie Harris for that hat tip