Customer satisfaction awards: Aldi pips big two, NAB tops banks, Virgin topples Qantas
In 2012 NAB was the most customer-centric consumer bank, Aldi the best supermarket, Myer the best department store and Virgin Australia the best domestic airline, according to Roy Morgan Research’s ‘Customer Satisfaction Awards’.
Announced last night at a gala dinner in Melbourne, the awards honoured 37 businesses measured as having the highest customer satisfaction levels for 2012, based on its single source data.
Michele Levine, CEO of Roy Morgan Research, congratulated not only the winners but all successful businesses, large and small, that consistently strive to satisfy their customers.
Some of the winners received an award for the second consecutive year, including The Good Guys, Internode, Michel’s Patisserie, Aldi, Virgin Mobile, Crowne Plaza and JB Hi-Fi.
Home Hardware pipped Bunnings for the Hardware Store of the Year title, ActewAGL followed up success in 2011 for best gas provider to take a clean sweep of the utilities categories, and Virgin Mobile won carrier of the year.
NAB took out the Major Bank award for most satisfied customers, over last year’s winner ANZ, while Westpac maintained its success among Business customers.
Department Store of the Year was taken out by Myer, de-throning last year’s winner David Jones while Best & Less lived up to its name winning best Discount Department Store for 2012.
Apple’s iPhone retained the number one spot for Mobile Phone Handset Customer Satisfaction but looks set to be challenged by Samsung in 2013, according to the research.
The full list of winners:
- Car Manufacturer of the Year: Mercedes-Benz
- Bank of the Year: Victoria Teachers Mutual Bank
- Building Society of the Year: Newcastle Permanent Building Society
- Credit Union of the Year: Police & Nurses (WA)
- General Insurer of the Year: Defence Service Homes Insurance
- Major Bank of the Year: NAB
- Private Health Insurer of the Year: CBHS
- Risk & Life Insurer of the Year: Real Insurance
- Business Bank of the Year: Bendigo Bank
- Business Insurer of the Year: WFI
- Business Superannuation Manager of the Year: Cbus
- Major Business Bank of the Year: Westpac
- Quick Service Restaurants of the Year: Fasta Pasta
- Auto Store of the Year: Supercheap Auto
- Chemist / Pharmacy of the Year: Guardian
- Clothing Store of the Year: Suzanne Grae
- Coffee Shop of the Year: Michel’s Patisserie
- Department Store of the Year: Myer
- Discount Department Store of the Year: Best & Less
- Discount Variety Store of the Year: The Reject Shop
- Furniture / Electrical Store of the Year: The Good Guys
- Hardware Store of the Year: Home Hardware
- Music / Book Store of the Year: JB Hi-Fi
- Shoe Store of the Year: Williams
- Sports Store of the Year: Sportspower
- Industry Superannuation Fund of the Year: ESS Super
- Retail Superannuation Fund of the Year: Colonial First State
- Supermarket of the Year: Aldi
- Handset Provider of the Year: Apple iPhone
- Home Phone Provider of the Year: iiNet
- Home Internet Service Provider of the Year: Internode
- Mobile Phone Service Provider of the Year: Virgin Mobile
- Domestic Airline of the Year: Virgin Australia
- Hotel And Resort of the Year: Crowne Plaza
- International Airline of the Year: Singapore Airlines
- Electricity of the Year: actewAGL
- Gas of the Year: actewAGL
Roy Morgan Research collected satisfaction ratings through its 2012 ‘Consumer Single Source’ survey of over 50,000 Australians and its ‘Business Single Source’ survey of 22,000 decision makers.