LinkedIn passes 2 million members
Marketers don’t need an introduction to LinkedIn, chances are you have a profile on it, and you’re certainly not alone. LinkedIn today announced it has surpassed two million members in Australia, which is almost 25% of the full–time workforce, and makes up an even larger chunk of the white collar workforce, LinkedIn’s major market.
The professional network, which makes its cash from some scant onsite advertising, premium subscriptions, and by charging headhunters, has become a global business behemoth, recently opening offices in Sydney and Melbourne.
“Given that we focus solely on the professional audience, this is a significant milestone for us,” LinkedIn’s ANZ managing director Cliff Rosenberg said of passing the two million mark. “Our growth has been driven by Australian professionals using LinkedIn to network, build their online brand, gain insights from the community and find new career or business opportunities.”
Rosenberg says opening up Australian offices has helped LinkedIn become more than a networking forum, and it’s making money.
“Since we established local operations, we have seen strong demand and response for our recruitment and marketing solutions services,” Rosenberg said. “We have also had success in establishing local relationships with Optus and Vodafone Hutchison Australia to offer our members free access to LinkedIn on their mobile to drive further usage.”
Setting up an Australian team has also meant more eyes focusing on Australian members, often drawing some great insights. Here’s the latest fact sheet of fun facts about Australian members of LinkedIn…
- Fastest growing industry sectors in Australia are Think Tanks, Higher Education and Hospital & Healthcare
- Most common last name of professionals are Smith, Jones, Brown and Lee
- There are 45.8 million connections between members
- 485 professionals list ‘winemaker’ as their job description
- 18 of the ASX-listed companies are using LinkedIn’s hiring solutions
- 1,276 professionals listed ‘guru’ in their profile
- 12,108 professionals listed ‘social media’ in their title description
- 10.7% of members in Australia are small business owners